1. Documentary requirements
- An application form filled and signed by the applicant.
- Two recent photographs with size 4 x 6 mm.
- A passport must have at least six months remaining validity.
2. Types of visas, Length of staying permission and additional documents required
- Transit visa :
- 30 days (non-extendable).
- Visa processing should be made through an eligible tour company which has a contract
with a tour company in the Lao PDR or directly through the Lao Embassy or Consulate in
many countries such as France, Russia, Sweden, USA, Poland, Germany, Cuba, Japan,
Singapore, Brunei, The Philippines, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia,
Thailand, India, Australia and USA.
- Visit visa :
- One month for stay (can be extended for two additional months).
- Visa request can be processed either through a guarantor in Laos or the Lao Embassy
- Business visa :
- Visa authorization is arranged by sponsor in Laos and the Embassy can not process visas
until it receives authorization or approval from the authorities concerned in Laos.
- One month for stay (can be extended until completion of your business term).
- Multiple entry visa:
- Available only from the Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Lao PDR.
- Visa on Arrival:
- Issued at Lao ports of entry valid for 30 days
- The most convenient way to get a Lao visa. A Visa on Arrival of laos is usually a tourist visa. Some times business and other type of visas.
- The Lao visas on arrival are available at:
- Lao international airports in Vientiane, Luang Prabang, Pakse and Savannakhet,
- Lao-Thai Friendship Bridges in Vientiane, Thakaek, and Savannakhet, and
- Tha Naleng train station in Vientiane, and
- International land border crossing points.
If you intend to enter Laos as a tourist, this is the most convenient way to get your Lao visa.
Just make sure you have a valid passport and plan to arrive at one of the Lao international ports
of entry where visas on arrival are issued.
- Everyone except for citizens of the countries listed below for Laos Visas on Arrival :
- Cote d'Ivoire
- Guinea Bissau
- Libya (Libyan Arab Jamahiriya)
- Sierra Leone
- Sri Lanka
- Syria (Syrian Arab republic)
- Documentary Requirements (application for a tourist visa on arrival) :
1. Your original passport with at least 6 months of remaining validity and a blank page for a visa stamp
2. Download Lao visa on arrival application form
3. A Visa application form, filled and signed by the applicant (available at visa booth at Lao ports of entry).
Two(2) recent passport-type photographs. If you don't have photos you will be asked to pay a small fee
(few dollars) for scanning your photograph from your passport, and placing it onto your visa application form.
4. Visa fee (cash only)
- Visa on Arrival Fee :
Below is a list of visa fee for different countries. If your country is not on the list, it probably costs you $US30
to get the visa or you're not eligible for getting Laos visa on arrival.
2. Validity of Visas
- All types of visas are issued for one entry and must be used within two months of issue date.